OWENS ILLINOIS – ENVIRONMENTAL ATTORNEY (PERRYSBURG, OH)
Thursday, October 3, 2013
We are seeking an Environmental Attorney to join our organization at our world headquarters in Perrysburg, OH.
This position is responsible for handling complex legal / technical matters and projects including, but not limited to, environmental permitting, managing remediation projects and resolving non-compliance issues. The person will also provide advice to management on legal matters and work with outside counsel and environmental/engineering consulting firms on a regular basis. This position will maintain a current knowledge of laws and regulations that will affect company business and will anticipate the legal risks associated with such laws.
(All other duties as assigned)
- Manage Major Source air permitting and compliance issues; includes legal research/analysis and technical expertise to provide comprehensive solutions & advice to management.
- Provide legal/technical guidance for non-compliance events (air, water, waste, permits), includes: root cause analysis; implementation of corrective action and effective preventative measures; resolve issues by interacting with environmental regulatory agencies, company management and engineering, outside counsel and consultants.
- Manage / conduct Title V air permit and multi-media auditing programs.
- Coordinate/manage company’s participation in CERCLA sites; includes negotiation of settlements and PRP allocation issues.
- Manage technical, indemnity, and access issues related to legacy remediation projects and current property owners.
- Manage accruals for environmental reserve and budgetary matters.
- Implement systems to track environmental compliance and programs for continuous improvement.
- Review/negotiate/draft remediation/settlement agreements with agencies and 3rd parties, as well as environmental services, engineering and consulting agreements.
- Assist with acquisition-related environmental due diligence issues.
SCOPE AND IMPACT:
This position supports the company on a global scale so the incumbent will be involved in assignments at every level including those with very large impact and exposure within the company.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- JD from an accredited law school and admitted to practice law in US; preferably in Ohio
- BS or BA in Engineering, Chemistry, Geology, or related science or 5 years technical field experience.
- 2-4 years law firm or corporate in-house experience in the environmental law field; air expertise.
- 3+ years environmental/technical work experience.
- Demonstrated ability to handle diverse projects simultaneously
- Strong air permitting and compliance experience.
- Familiarity with emerging GHG and CO2 issues.
- Multi-media environmental auditing experience.
- Former technical consulting or agency experience preferred.
- Excellent negotiation and oral/written communication skills required
- This position reports to the Director, Environmental Affairs.
- This position does not have any direct reports.
Up to 20% of domestic travel
To Apply Please Copy and Paste the Link Below into a New Browser.
Owens Illinois is an equal opportunity employer.