The Climate Field Communications Manager will be responsible for amplifying local visibility related to Audubon’s climate initiative program. S/he Manager will oversee and implement Audubon’s climate field communications strategy throughout the Audubon network with an emphasis on priority states. Reporting to the Climate Campaigns Director, be an instrumental member of the Climate Initiative’s core team. The Field Communications Manager will also ensure that the Audubon network receives the communications support it needs to address climate change action at the local, state and national level while creating safe political space and a greater demand for change for climate solutions.
Please include a cover letter when submitting your resume to this position.
- Secure high quality media coverage at local levels across all types of earned media ‐digital, print, broadcast.
- Develop strategic media relations plans and campaigns, in collaboration with other staff and partners.
- Develop, edit and distribute press materials and messaging points specifically for network‐based climate efforts
- Generate and edit templates for letters to the editor, op‐eds and other tools for the field
- Respond to local media requests from the network, specifically from field organizers in their climate efforts
- Coordinate and lead editorial board visits
- Maintain relationships with reporters and news outlets
- Training and supporting network spokespeople to communicate about Audubon’s climate efforts
- Ongoing coordination and integration with Network and climate and energy advocacy strategies
- Manage projects and campaigns on time and on budget.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in public relations, journalism, marketing, or related field; t equivalent experience may be considered in lieu of education.
- 5+ of professional experience working in public relations, marketing, or communications‐related field; 2 years experience managing people/teams and logistics preferred.
- Proven track record of high quality media placements
- Exceptional organizational and project management capacity with demonstrated ability to manage complex campaigns
- Strong written and verbal communication skills including writing for press release and talking points
- Meticulous attention to detail, resourceful, with a can‐do attitude
- Understanding of and interest in how grassroots and advocacy strategies works with media
- Experience leading media trainings and coaching spokespeople
- Familiarity and experience utilizing both paid and earned media strategies
- A self‐starter, one who is motivated, able to work in a decentralized work environment with minimal supervision, and juggle multiple projects simultaneously
- Background in issue advocacy and energy/conservation issues a plus
- Ability to work independently, as well as be a strong team player
- Experience conducting editorial board visits
- Demonstrated aptitude for clear message development and message discipline
- Ability to balance eye for detail with compelling overarching vision
- Ability to improvise and problem‐solve with clarity and steadiness
- Comfort working in a fast‐paced, rapidly changing environment
- Established base of contacts in high‐profile national media outlets
- Proficiency with Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and other key Microsoft Office and web‐based products
- Spanish speaking and writing skills preferred
- Travel required