The mission of Active Transportation Alliance is to make bicycling, walking and public transit so safe, convenient and fun that we will achieve a significant shift from environmentally harmful, sedentary travel to clean, active travel. We advocate for transportation that encourages and promotes safety, physical activity, health, recreation, social interaction, equity, environmental stewardship and resource conservation.
Under the supervision of the Director of Development, the Development Manager will serve a vital role for the organization: Serving as the primary staff member responsible for both database management and grants as well as working on other, smaller projects. The grants work for this position includes researching and writing new and renewal grants and reports in conjunction with program staff, providing analysis and expertise on new opportunities and serving as the main contact person for foundations. The database portion of the job includes serving as the staff leader and expert on Raiser’s Edge and its corresponding software. Tasks include batch processing, records management, creation of queries, and building NetCommunity and Luminate pages. The Development Manager will also work closely with the IT Manager to ensure quality of data across platforms. Some of the other projects include helping to plan small donor and board events, working with the Director of Development to build the TransFormation Campaign (our 30th anniversary major donor campaign) and working closely with the Development Team on the 30th Anniversary Gala.
The ideal candidate will possess excellent communication, time-management and organizational skills with an interest in working as a strong contributor to a team. Candidates should also possess great interpersonal skills and have a zeal and an excitement for working across departments to grow and expand Active Trans’ funding base.
Essential Duties and Accountabilities:
Database Management – 40%
• Serve as Active Trans’ resident expert and champion of Raiser’s Edge across departments
• Process batches of gifts and event registrations and manage duplicates
• Work with staff to fulfill data, query and list requests
• Help conduct trainings and set data entry standards to ensure consistency of data across Raiser’s Edge, Net Community and Luminate Online
• Work closely with the Events, Development and IT Teams to ensure quality and consistency of online forms, auto-responses and landing pages
Grant Management – 40%
• Write non-programmatic sections of foundation grant proposals and LOIs and provide general oversight and editing to program narratives
• Assist in the research and identify potential foundation funding sources and networking opportunities, along with program staff and development intern
• Create/maintain prospect and funding cycle tracking system
• Submit Program Reports and Dashboard Metrics
• Track/maintain system for grants proposals, LOIs, awards, reporting deadlines and rejections
• Hold quarterly grant update meetings (Senior-staff level)
• Maintain and update supporting documents as needed and manage the preparation of project boilerplates
• Assist program directors in maintaining regular communication with funders/program officers (site visits/emails/phone calls/updates)
• Collect and analyze institutional data to support proposals and demonstrate need for and impact of grants
Other Duties and Responsibilities – 20%
• Work as a part of the team to execute the TransFormation Campaign, a multi-year major donor campaign to celebrate our 30th anniversary
• Assist Director of Development with Major Donor research and creation of donor profiles
• Assist the Development and Events teams with our 30th Anniversary Event in February 2016
• Availability to work occasional evenings and weekends
• Participate in Active Trans obligatory organization-wide events and activities such as Bike the Drive
• Undergo Basic Traffic Cycling instruction (according to individual ability)
• Two to three years’ direct experience (queries, data entry, batch processing) in Raiser’s Edge
• NetCommunity and Luminate Online experience a plus
• One to two years’ experience writing and researching grants
• Ability to manage multiple deadlines and multitask
• Excellent organizational and time management skills; written and verbal communication skills; and outstanding attention to detail
• Ability to work closely with Board Members, Advisory Board Members and program staff and get along with a wide diversity of experience and personalities
• A passion for the transformational nature of bicycling, walking and transit on community livability and sustainability
• A commitment to the Active Transportation Alliance mission, vision and goals
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
This is a full-time position. The position will be based at Active Transportation Alliance in Chicago.
As soon as possible.
For Consideration: Please send a resume, cover letter and brief grant-related writing sample to email@example.com. You must include the words “Development Manager” in the subject line. Electronic submissions only; no mailed or faxed submissions will be considered. No phone calls, please.
The Active Transportation Alliance is committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all persons regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, marital status, political affiliation, sexual orientation or gender identity, disability, sex or age