The Sierra Club is looking for a Campaign Representative in Columbus, Ohio
Context: Plans and implements the strategies and activities of the Beyond Coal campaign to transition utilities from coal to clean energy in Ohio.
Scope: The Campaign Representative is responsible for the planning, coordination and implementation of the Beyond Coal campaign strategies and activities in Ohio, and as assigned. Collaborates with various internal departments, programs, strategic external partners, coalitions, state chapters and volunteer leadership to ensure execution of strategic coordinated campaigns moving Ohio off of coal to 100% renewable energy and energy efficiency. Ensures strategic alignment of the state campaign with regional and national goals and objectives. Manages and monitors campaign resources and expenses. Coordinates Capacities and Departments, ensuring focus on activities that achieve Campaign outcomes. Works with Sierra Club staff and volunteer Chapter leadership in Ohio. Creates and executes, as appropriate, utility-based or state-based campaign work plans and revises as appropriate to meet changing needs and requirements. Oversees day-to-day operational aspects of Campaign. Prepares and submits weekly progress reports. Represents the Sierra Club to government officials, the media, allies, and other organizations, and the public.
- Leads and facilitates the development of a strategic campaign plan, goals and objectives, for the Beyond Coal Campaign’s targeted utilities in Ohio. Develops and implements strategic campaign working in collaboration with Sierra Club’s Environmental Law Program, Chapter, Communications Department, Organizing and On-line Organizing capacities, Sierra Club’s programs, and volunteer leadership to ensure the execution of a campaign to move the targeted companies off of coal to 100% renewable energy and energy efficiency.
- In collaboration with the Sierra Club stakeholders listed above, engages with key strategic partners in frontline communities and within labor impacted by in regional power generation and committed to the transition to clean energy, other strategic stakeholders, elected and appointed decision makers, and executives in the renewable generation and efficiency industries to ensure advancement of Sierra Club’s priorities.
- Supports and provides professional expertise to staff and volunteers. Provides conservation training and motivation to staff and volunteers.
- Works to develop volunteers and to ensure that volunteers assume meaningful roles in the program/campaign.
- Directs media outreach activities related to the campaign/program. Serves as Sierra Club spokesperson to media outlets and promotes volunteer media exposure.
- Writes, edits, and reviews educational and advocacy materials.
- Represents the Sierra Club to the general public and to strategic allies and coalitions.
- Introduces creative campaign ideas and approaches for consideration by capacities.
- Handles miscellaneous projects and duties as assigned.
Knowledge & Skills:
- B.A./B.S. degree in energy, political, legal, or closely related field, or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
- At least 3 years’ experience in the planning and implementation of campaigns, which includes experience:
- planning and managing a state- or regional-level legislative or issue campaign;
- working with attorneys and utilizing legal advocacy;
- media relations and strategic communications;
- work with senior level political and business leaders.
- Familiarity with the electric sector, including coal and gas-fired generation and renewable energy.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a challenging political landscape to advance policy goals.
- Excellent demonstrated written and oral communication skills. Demonstrated public speaking and media presentation ability.
- Substantial experience and demonstrated ability and effectiveness working with volunteers.
- Commitment to building an organization that is diverse, equitable and inclusive, as well as promoting a culture of learning and growth.
- Valid driver’s license, satisfactory driving record, and proof of auto insurance required.
For full job description and to apply, please click here