This is an extraordinary time in which ELPC’s effective legal and policy advocacy backed by strong public engagement campaigns through effective communications and marketing are essential for protecting our core environmental values. The Director of Marketing will join ELPC’s first-rate team of legal and policy advocates working to: accelerate clean solar energy, storage, wind power and energy efficiency solutions; advance climate change solutions; protect clean air, safe drinking water, and communities against toxic threats; and protect the Midwest’s Wild and Natural Places.
ORGANIZATION: ELPC is the Midwest’s leading public interest environmental legal advocacy and eco-business innovation organization, and among the nation’s leaders. We develop and lead successful strategic environmental advocacy campaigns to improve environmental quality and protect our natural heritage. We are public interest environmental entrepreneurs who engage in creative business deal making with diverse interests to put into practice our belief that environmental progress and economic development can be achieved together. ELPC’s multidisciplinary staff of 40+ talented public interest attorneys, environmental business specialists, policy advocates and communications specialists brings a strong and effective combination of skills to solve environmental problems and improve the quality of life in our communities. ELPC’s headquarters is in Chicago, along with offices in Columbus, OH, Des Moines, IA, Grand Rapids, MI, Duluth, MN, Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN, Jamestown, ND, Minneapolis, MN, Madison, WI, Sioux Falls, SD, and Washington D.C. ELPC started in 1993 and has an annual budget of about $7.0 million. Please see www.elpc.org.
RESPONSIBILITIES: The Director of Marketing will report to the Executive Director and will work closely with the Director of Development and the Director of Media Relations. She/He is responsible for strengthening and raising ELPC’s profile, visibility and reputation among targeted groups of policymakers and influential opinion leaders, supporting ELPC’s public advocacy campaigns, and advancing ELPC’s overall organizational effectiveness and prominence. Specific responsibilities include:
(1) Organizational communications and ELPC’s organizational presence in social media and “traditional” media. Work with the Director of Media Relations to generate stories and positive attention about the overall organization. Oversee organizational communications across platforms, including overall “look” of ELPC websites, publications and electronic communications.
(2) Events. Develop, plan, and execute various events designed to market ELPC to key targeted audiences.
(3) Networking with a purpose. Use networking events strategically to expand ELPC’s circle of influence by attending events directly and/or coordinating participation among ELPC staff members.
- Support Executive Director’s ongoing marketing activities and take on particular marketing assignments and opportunities.
- Identify and seize other opportunities to effectively market ELPC.
QUALIFICATIONS: The ideal candidate will have a proven track record raising the profile of nonprofit organizations through savvy marketing and communications. Strong public speaking, verbal and written communications skills are required. Adept at social media and a good eye for graphic layout. Demonstrated commitment to ELPC’s mission and environmental protection and progress. Applicants should have at least 10 years of successful professional experience in marketing, ideally including some with nonprofit advocacy organizations. Some travel and evening work required.
SALARY: Commensurate with experience and with ELPC’s salary structure that is competitive with other similarly-sized public interest environmental organizations. Excellent benefits provided.
APPLICATION PROCESS: Applicants should send a cover letter, resume and professional references to: MarketingDirector@elpc.org. Telephone inquiries are strongly discouraged. The Environmental Law & Policy Center is an equal opportunity employer and is continually seeking to diversify its staff.