The Ecology Center is seeking a three-quarter to full-time Communications and Outreach Coordinator for its Charge Up Midwest Electric Vehicle and Clean Energy campaigns, which includes public outreach and decision-maker focused communications to advance climate and energy solutions throughout Michigan and the Midwest.
Location: The Ecology Center – Ann Arbor, MI
Founded in 1970, the Ecology Center works to develop innovative solutions for healthy people and a healthy planet. In recent years, the Ecology Center developed the country’s leading product testing service for toxic chemicals; created a statewide Health Leaders Fellowship program; and led successful advocacy campaigns to expand transit service in southeast Michigan. The Ecology Center is the parent organization of Recycle Ann Arbor, founded in 1977, which works to build zero waste communities through convenient and innovative services. The Ecology Center has offices in Ann Arbor and Detroit.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Coordinator position will work with the Ecology Center’s Climate and Energy Program Team to provide overall communications for the Charge Up Midwest campaign and other Clean Energy programs, including:
- Content creation, management, and dissemination of earned and owned media—including website, newsletters, social media, media relations, brochures, branded collateral, and related materials;
- Support the execution of the Ecology Center communications and development plans to create awareness, engagement, and revenue for the Climate/Energy programs;
- Stay abreast of EV and Energy related news;
- Seek, research, develop and pitch proactive news stories to enhance public awareness of the Ecology Center’s climate/energy priorities;
- Deliver presentations and tabling at community events;
- Assist with overall campaign strategy and tracking of campaign progress;
- Assist with grant reporting, and ongoing fundraising; and
- Participate in Ecology Center staff meetings, and other collective duties to be determined.
Knowledge & Skills
The ideal candidate will have experience in journalism, public relations or a related field; a proven ability to write clearly, cleanly and quickly in a variety of formats; strong social media skills, and a familiarity with environmental and energy issues.
- B.A./B.S. degree in journalism, public relations, or related field preferred.
- At least 1-2 years of experience in communications, campaign communications preferred.
- Excellent demonstrated written and oral communication skills.
- Strong strategic communications skills, including planning, public affairs and outreach, crisis communications, communications metrics and measurement, and marketing.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, rapidly-changing environment and to organize multiple and varied priorities.
- Sincere commitment to work collaboratively with all constituent groups, including staff, board members, volunteers, donors, program partners, and other supporters.
- Knowledge of the transportation and energy sectors.
- Familiarity with and ability to quickly learn various web-based communication platforms.
- Excellent research skills.
- Self-starter and able to work independently.
- Ability and willingness to travel.
- A sense of humor.
Reports To: Director of Climate & Energy Programs
Salary and Benefits:
$36,000 – $42,000, commensurate with experience, with a generous benefits package including health, dental, FSA, 403(b), ongoing training, and growth opportunities. Upbeat, collaborative, and goal-oriented office atmosphere. The Ecology Center is committed to diversity and inclusion in our internal practices and opportunities, and in how we fulfill our mission of working for healthy people and a healthy planet. For more about our values and work in this area, see the Ecology Center Statement of Values on Diversity and Inclusion. The Ecology Center is an equal opportunity employer.
Please send your resume, cover letter, writing sample, and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include where you heard about the position.
Application review will begin on September 8th. Applications received by that date will be given priority, but we will continue to accept applications until the position is filled.