The Great Lakes and St. Lawrence Cities Initiative is seeking an Administrative Assistant to work 30-35 hours per week with a small Chicago-based, binational team. The Administrative Assistant serves as the assistant to the President/CEO and staff. The ideal candidate possesses strong organization and communication skills, experience in an office setting, and French language skills.
About the Cities Initiative
The Great Lakes and St. Lawrence Cities Initiative (Cities Initiative) is a binational coalition of over 130 U.S. and Canadian mayors and local officials representing over 17 million people working to advance the protection and restoration of the Great Lakes and St. Lawrence River. As a voice for local government on Great Lakes and St. Lawrence related issues, it fosters best practices sharing among mayors and staff, and is a catalyst for on-the-ground protection and restoration action.
As a small NGO, members of the Cities Initiative work together and with other orders of government and stakeholders to improve infrastructure, programs and services and increase investments that protect and restore this globally significant freshwater resource. The Cities Initiative works with mayors and municipal staff to protect and preserve the Great Lakes and St. Lawrence region at the local, regional, and basin-wide levels.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide general support to the Cities Initiative team and maintain organization within the office.
- Office administration and bookkeeping, including scheduling calls and meetings, processing invoices and expense reports, coordinating travel logistics, and supporting financial management.
- Serve as point of contact for organization and field phone calls and emails in English and French.
- Administration of membership dues, including maintaining contact information of over 130 member cities, sending invoices, processing checks, and tracking payments.
- Support on event and meeting planning, including communicating with attendees and coordinating logistics.
- Support staff on media and communications, including press release distribution, website management, and social media.
- Perform other administrative and management duties for binational non-profit, including employee benefits management, US & Canadian audit coordination, and office purchasing.
- Other duties as assigned by staff and the President/CEO.
Required Qualifications and Skills
- Highly organized, self-directed, and able to work on a small team
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Computer skills in a Windows environment
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite
- Ability to coordinate and work smoothly with remote team members
Preferred Qualifications and Skills
- French language skills (verbal, written, electronic)
- 2 or more years of office management experience, human resources, or finance.
- Associate or bachelor’s degree
- Some event planning and communications experience
- Knowledge of Great Lakes issues and Quebec culture
Please send a resume and cover letter to John Dickert, President and CEO, at email@example.com “Administrative Assistant” as the email subject before April 6, 2018.
The Great Lakes and St. Lawrence Cities Initiative is an equal opportunity employer.