Grants Department Fundraiser for The Public Interest Network
The Public Interest Network is home to more than 16 organizations, including PIRG, Environment America and the National Environmental Law Center. Each of our groups has its own mission, whether it’s environmental litigation, consumer advocacy, research or training new organizers. The 500-plus staff in our network share a vision of a better country, a set of core values about our work, and a coordinated strategic approach to getting things done.
We also share a great track record. Over the past 45 years, our staff have worked on hundreds of projects and campaigns at the local, state, national and corporate levels. Because of the laws and other policies we’ve won, people are buying healthier and safer products, getting more of our energy from the sun and the wind, drinking cleaner water and breathing cleaner air … the list just goes on. But every day brings a new challenge or new opportunity. That’s why right now we’re hiring.
The Grants Fundraising Associate will have a key role in our efforts to double our grant and large donor fundraising over the next five years. This additional funding will enable the Public Interest Network to make an even bigger impact on some of the most important problems of our time, as well as recruit and train hundreds more new activists who will work for change for years to come.
To reach this ambitious goal, the Grants Department Fundraiser will represent the Public Interest Network in the funder community, including foundations, major individual donors, and other non-corporate institutions. Specific responsibilities include:
- Research and identify appropriate foundation and donor prospects;
- Meet with at least 50 prospective funders annually;
- Network with the funding community by attending conferences and events;
- Promote the Public Interest Network through written updates, briefings, and other affinity building activities;
- Develop, write, and pitch grant proposals;
- Manage grants raised for the Public Interest Network, including monitoring project progress and reporting to the funder; and
- Support the grantseeking activities of the Public Interest Network member organization’s staff around the country.
Additionally, the Grants Department Fundraiser will participate in strengthening the Public Interest Network by participating in other capacity building priorities, from recruiting and training staff to phone banking to helping with events.
Los Angeles, CA
We are looking for skilled candidates with a demonstrated commitment to social change and an appreciation of the importance of activism. We’re also looking for candidates that are more motivated by the success of the movement than by individual achievement.
Additionally, top candidates will:
- Have a bachelor’s degree and at least one year of relevant experience, including some fundraising experience. Advanced degrees, including a JD or masters in related fields, may count toward a candidate’s professional experience;
- Have excellent expository writing and verbal persuasion skills;
- Enjoy meeting new people, networking, and cultivating relationships;
- Be highly goal driven and have a track record of academic success and proven leadership ability;
- Be flexible, embrace new challenges, have a can-do attitude and strong work ethic;
- Be willing to travel extensively on a public interest budget and be comfortable with irregular work hours (nighttime events, weekend meetings, etc.);
- Have demonstrated ability to exercise independent judgment and discretion in solving problems; and
- Be able to work independently and creatively, as well as take direction and work as part of a team.
The Grants Department Fundraiser position requires a two-year commitment.
Compensation & Benefits
Annual compensation for most candidate ranges between $28,000 and $33,000, but could be higher commensurate with relevant professional experience and/or advanced degrees. The Public Interest Network offers a competitive benefits package, including paid holidays, sick days, and vacation days. Eligible staff may join our group health insurance plan and will have the opportunity to enroll in our college loan assistance and 401(k) program.
Visit http://www.publicinterestnetwork.org/page/pin/apply and fill out the online form. If we are interested in interviewing you for the position, we will get back to you within a week. All finalists also will be required to complete a writing test.
The Public Interest Network is a group of organizations that share a vision of a better future, a set of core values, and a strategic approach to making positive change. Visit http://www.publicinterestnetwork.org/core-values.html to learn what you should know about the network before you apply.
The Public Interest Network is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, age, sex, disability, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity or veteran status. The Public Interest Network will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.