We are seeking a driven, visionary leader to direct the transformation of Missouri into a top 20 state in renewables and efficiency by 2020.
Renew Missouri is a 501(c)3 non-profit efficiency and clean energy advocacy organization; our mission is to develop and advocate for cost-effective clean energy policies for the health and prosperity of all Missourians. Founded in 2006, Renew Missouri has created many of Missouri’s flagship energy policies, including the Net Metering and Easy Connection Act, the Renewable Energy Standard (passed by ballot initiative in 2008), the Property Assessed Clean Energy (PACE) law, and a state tax deduction for energy efficiency investments. The impact of these policies has led to hundreds of millions of dollars of investment in renewables and efficiency.
Renew Missouri promotes new clean energy policies, and implements and defends our existing clean energy policies. We also advance pro-efficiency and pro-renewable policy through legal and regulatory channels, such as negotiating utility-sponsored energy efficiency programs, ensuring compliance with state renewable energy laws, and watchdogging regulatory agencies.
The Executive Director will assume day-to-day management of Renew Missouri and ensure the financial sustainability of the organization through successful private fundraising and grant outreach. The Executive Director will motivate and develop the organization’s employees, interns and consultants to produce steady victories towards the implementation of Renew Missouri’s mission. The Executive Director is the primary public relations contact of Renew Missouri and will determine Renew Missouri’s policy priorities in coordination with the wind, solar and efficiency industries. The Executive Director will engage with the Board of Directors to ensure that the organization is effective and sustainable. The overarching goal of the Executive Director is to steadily deepen the impacts and networks of the organization while increasing financial strength.
As Executive Director, you’ll be playing a significant role in shaping energy policy in Missouri and beyond!
- Fundraising: Raise substantial funds through grant acquisition, donor programs (major, mid-level, and small) and other collaborative opportunities & events (current annual budget is $600,000).
- Staff Management: Keep the team motivated, productive, and goal-oriented; assist in employee hiring, orientation and ongoing training.
- Strategic Planning: Implement long-term planning for the organization in consultation with the Board of Directors.
- Building Coalitions: Build support within energy stakeholder organizations, such as clean technology businesses, consumer groups and environmental protection organizations.
- Fiscal Management: Ensure ongoing expenses and income are processed timely and accurately, and that Renew Missouri remains financially strong.
- Policy Development and Promotion: Represent policy priorities and positions to decision-makers, (i.e. legislators, regulators, and business leaders); plan and execute campaigns in regulatory and legislative venues; advance our policy priorities by leveraging our supporters, media assets and other key influencers; preserve existing clean energy policy through offensive and defensive measures as necessary; identify policy opportunities within the state.
- Media: Utilize traditional and social media coverage as an advocacy tool to support our policy objectives; be the primary liaison to the press and chief media strategist.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- At least five years of experience in management of a 501c3 nonprofit strongly preferred; some 501c4 nonprofit management a plus.
- Strong passion for and background in renewable energy and energy efficiency.
- Track record of major donor and major foundation fundraising. Familiarity with Missouri energy policy; relationships with state energy and environmental stakeholders preferred.
- Experience with employee recruitment, retention and management.
- Experience in state-level advocacy, with municipal and/or federal advocacy experience a plus.
- Successful campaign management experience.
- An affinity for meaningful clean energy advocacy work including the building and leading of diverse coalitions.
- Robust analytical, problem solving, communication, leadership and collaboration skills.
- Positive attitude, professional workmanship, detail oriented self-starter with results-driven work ethic.
This is a full-time, salaried position located in Columbia, Missouri. This position reports to the Board of Directors of Renew Missouri, and oversees 5 full-time and 3 part-time staff.
This position will require some travel throughout the state of Missouri and to other locations, and will sometimes require working outside of normal business hours. Renew Missouri provides excellent benefits including a flexible, positive and supportive work environment, paid time off, health benefits including vision and dental, and continuing education opportunities.
Starting salary range: $65,000-$80,000, depending on experience.
Please email a PDF copy of your resume, cover letter, and examples of relevant work product to email@example.com. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis.
Renew Missouri is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity in the workplace.