Smart thermostats provide the easy solution to high seasonal bills, and now, Illinois consumers can take advantage of unprecedented rebates as part of one of the largest thermostat rebate programs in the country. There are now eighteen different smart thermostats eligible for $100 in rebates for customers with WiFi, central air, and a furnace.
- What is a smart thermostat?
- Am I eligible for the rebate?
- Which products are eligible for the rebate?
- How much is the rebate?
- How do I purchase/install a smart thermostat?
- Is a smart thermostat the same thing as a programmable thermostat?
What is a smart thermostat?
Smart thermostats use a suite of innovative, “smart” technologies to automatically keep you comfortable when you’re home and save you money when you’re away. Smart thermostats are wifi-enabled devices that connect with an app on your smartphone or tablet, allowing you to monitor and control your heating and cooling. They sense when your home is vacant and automatically adjust your HVAC to save you money. They also spot your proximity to home to automatically adjust your HVAC to keep you comfortable. Smart thermostats even learn your preferences over time to provide the ultimate level of comfort, convenience, control and savings.
Am I eligible for the rebate?
Ameren and ComEd have their own application process, but generally you must:
- Be a current customer of the utility
- Select a qualifying smart thermostat from the list below
- Purchase, install, and register the smart thermostat
- Have a working WiFi connection in your home
- Have a compatible central air conditioner, heat pump and/or electric heating system
Which products are eligible for the rebate?
With so many smart thermostats on the market, Energy Star makes it easy to start saving money with its Energy Star certified list of rebate-eligible smart thermostats. Compare each model to find the one that fits your needs.
How much is the rebate?
Rebates are available for $100 from ComEd or Ameren. Click on your utility provider below for specific rebate options.
How do I purchase/install the smart thermostat?
There are three ways customers can take advantage of utility rebates:
- Self Install: By far the most common, you purchase, install and register your qualifying smart thermostat on your own. Most of the devices are available at big-box hardware stores, as well as online from the manufacturer or Amazon. Available Rebates = up to $100
- Contractor Install: You may hire a professional contractor to install your qualifying smart thermostat. Available Rebates = up to $100
- Utility Install: You may receive the ecobee3 smart thermostat at a discounted price of $150 (MSRP $249), which also includes free installation, if you participate in the “home energy assessment” programs offered by your electric or gas utility. Only the ecobee3 is eligible for this installation method.
Is a smart thermostat the same thing as a programmable thermostat?
No. Programmable thermostats can be programmed to fit your schedule and lifestyle, with different settings for evenings or weekends. Smart thermostats may also be programmed, but they offer several advanced features such as:
- Ability to learn and/or sense — Some smart thermostats learn when you like which temperatures in which rooms and will automatically adjust to make you comfortable. Others utilize a combination of motion sensors and geo-location technology to automatically switch between pre-programmed climates depending on when you’re arriving/leaving home and where you are inside your home. Some products use both types of technology.
- Remote access — Smart thermostats allow you to monitor and control the temperature in your home from anywhere through your smartphone or other web-enabled device.