Residents across Northern Illinois are eligible for rebates on smart thermostats that can cut the cost of the devices in half, making the convenience and increased control of energy use more affordable. As of June 1, 2016, eight different smart thermostats are eligible for up to $150 in rebates for customers with WiFi, central air, and a furnace.
- What is a smart thermostat?
- Which products are eligible for the rebate?
- Am I eligible for the rebate?
- How much is the rebate?
- How do I purchase/install a smart thermostat?
- Is a smart thermostat the same thing as a programmable thermostat?
What is a Smart Thermostat?
Smart thermostats use a suite of innovative, “smart” technologies to automatically keep you comfortable when you’re home and save you money when you’re away. Typically, smart thermostats are wifi-enabled devices that connect with an app on your smartphone or tablet, allowing you to monitor and control your heating and cooling. They utilize a variety of sensors for tracking temperature, humidity, and other “comfort” variables, as well as for spotting your proximity to home and/or your location within your home. Some products “learn” your preferences over time and will automatically adjust your HVAC to keep you comfortable. The trifecta they seek = comfort, convenience and control.
Which products are eligible for the rebate?
As of June 1, 2016, there are eight products that qualify for rebates described on this page:
Defining Feature: Patented multi-zone Proximity Control Technology
Defining Feature: Remote sensors for multiple locations within home
Defining Feature: Early warning/notification system for leaks, frozen pipes and other threats to your home
Defining Feature: Allergen defender monitors pollen levels in your area
MSRP: Unlisted. Contact your HVAC contractor.
Defining Feature: First true battery-powered WiFi thermostat
Defining Feature: Programs itself as it learns your habits
Defining Feature: Pre-built energy-saving settings
Am I eligible for the rebate?
Each utility has its own application process (see links provided on our Additional Resources page), but generally you must:
- Be a current customer of the utility
- Select a qualifying smart thermostat (list above)
- Purchase, install and register the smart thermostat between March 1, 2016 and May 31, 2017 (previous rebate period: Oct. 5, 2015 through May 31, 2016)
- Have a working WiFi connection in your home
- Have a compatible central air conditioner, heat pump and/or electric heating system
How much is the rebate?
How do I purchase/install the smart thermostat?
There are three ways customers can take advantage of utility rebates:
- Self Install: By far the most common, you purchase, install and register your qualifying smart thermostat on your own. Most of the devices are available at big-box hardware stores, as well as online from the manufacturer or Amazon. Available Rebates = up to $150
- Contractor Install: You may hire a professional contractor to install your qualifying smart thermostat. Available Rebates = up to $150
- Utility Install: You may receive the ecobee3 smart thermostat at a discounted price of $150 (MSRP $249), which also includes free installation, if you participate in the “home energy assessment” programs offered by your electric or gas utility. Only the ecobee3 is eligible for this installation method.
Is a Smart thermostat the same thing as a programmable thermostat?
No. Programmable thermostats can be programmed to fit your schedule and lifestyle, with different settings for evenings or weekends. Smart thermostats may also be programmed, but they offer several advanced features such as:
- Ability to learn and/or sense — Some smart thermostats learn when you like which temperatures in which rooms and will automatically adjust to make you comfortable. Others utilize a combination of motion sensors and geo-location technology to automatically switch between pre-programmed climates depending on when you’re arriving/leaving home and where you are inside your home. Some products use both types of technology.
- Remote access — Smart thermostats allow you to monitor and control the temperature in your home from anywhere through your smartphone or other web-enabled device.